About the Journal
The Dyke is an open-access refereed multidisciplinary journal that publishes original and review articles, both theoretical and applied in the fields of Social Sciences, Business Sciences, Arts & Humanities, and Education. It provides a forum for research in Africa while promoting agency in research by African researchers for African-centred audiences.
Hosting & Indexing
Sabinet Journals of Africa (https://journals.co.za/loi/dyke)
Notes to authors
Format and organisation
Types of manuscripts
Original research articles from the empirical investigation, high-quality review articles, case studies, expository essays, and first-hand experiences in the fields of social sciences, arts, humanities, and commerce may be considered. Short communication or preliminary results of important research and news items may be submitted.
Manuscripts should normally be 6000-8000 words including references and appendices.
Book reviews, preliminary results of significant research, letters and academic opinion items should not normally exceed 1000 words.
Submitted articles will, normally, be independently reviewed by three expert reviewers. Authors bear sole responsibility for the factual accuracy of their articles.
The title should be bolded and centered. It should be short, concise, accurate, and informative bearing the name(s) of the author(s), affiliation(s), and e-mail address. The abstract should be one paragraph of not more than 300 words. At least four keywords that describe the article's subject matter should accompany the abstract.
The following structure will normally be preferred with clear heading denoting:
Introduction (Including literature review) - State the objectives of the work and provide an adequate background and a review of the literature. Authors are expected to confine this section to the title and objectives of the paper and avoid the inclusion of irrelevant information.
Materials & Methods (Methodology) – This section should be as detailed as possible.
Results & Discussions: The results should be clear and concise. Sub-headings are encouraged in this section.
Conclusion & Recommendations -Main conclusions and recommendations of the study should be presented in a short section that stands alone.
References-Provide a detailed list of the literature cited in the text. Ensure that all references cited in the text are listed in the references section and that any reference not cited in the text should not be listed. Use the APA style of referencing.
English (UK) e.g /-ise/ instead of /-ize/
NB: Use Arial Font Size 12, Spacing single
All submissions accepted for publication shall be routinely screened and submitted for plagiarism checks.
There are no fees required to publish an article.
Copyright & Licensing
This Assignment of All Rights to The Dyke: A Journal of Midlands State University (the “Agreement”) is made and effective [DATE: ],
BETWEEN: [ASSIGNOR NAMES: ] (the "Assignor"):
AND: [Midlands State University] (the "Assignee"), an entity organized and existing under the laws of the Republic of Zimbabwe, located at: Senga Road, Gweru, Zimbabwe.
WHEREAS, Assignor has prepared, written, created, or developed certain materials or works pursuant to Assignee specifications entitled in The Dyke: A Journal of Midlands State University, (hereinafter called the " Work"); against the following:
[Title of Article
WHEREAS, Assignor desires to transfer entire ownership of the copyright in the Work to Assignee;
IT IS THEREFORE agreed between Assignor and Assignee as follows:
- Assignor hereby grants, transfers, assigns, and conveys to Assignee, its successors and assigns, the entire title, right interest, ownership, and all subsidiary rights in and to the Work, including but not limited to the right to secure copyright registration therein and to any resulting registration in Assignee's name as claimant, and the right to secure renewals, reissues, and extensions of any such copyright or copyright registration in Zimbabwe or any foreign country.
- Whether the copyright in the Work shall be preserved and maintained or registered in Zimbabwe or any foreign country shall be at the sole discretion of Assignee.
- Assignor hereby confirms that Assignee and its successors and assigns, owns the entire title, right and interest in the work, including the right to public, reproduce, prepare derivative works based upon the copyright in the Work, distribute by sale, by rental, lease or lending or by other transfer of ownership; and to display, in and to the Work, whether or not the Work constitutes a "work made for hire".
- Assignor agrees that only moral rights in the Work are retained by Assignor.
- Assignor agrees to take all actions and cooperate as is necessary to protect the copyright ability of the Work and further agrees to execute any documents that might be necessary to perfect Assignee's ownership of copyrights in the Work and to registration.
- All terms of this Agreement are applicable to any portion or part of the Work, as well as the Work in its entirety.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties hereto; this Agreement supersedes any prior oral or written agreement or understanding between the parties.
- This Agreement has been interpreted under the Zimbabwean Copyright Law; and will also be litigated or prosecuted under the laws of Zimbabwe.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement on the dates set forth first above, with full knowledge of its content and significance and intending to be legally bound by the terms hereof.
Authorized Signature Authorized Signature
Print Name and Title Print Name and Title
Date and Place